Fixin’ the ol’ barn

So on the right are the two 2″x4″‘s that we screwed together on top of the jack on top of a piece of wood on the ground.  On the left is the beam that we fixed.  I should have thought to take a before picture so you could see how far we needed to move it.  Originally the bottom of the beam had fallen off the pier (concrete column) that it was sitting on.  So we jacked up the beam (the horizontal piece thats above both of these) and the support basically fell out from under the beam.  Then we put the bottom of the post on top of the column and filled back in around it with stones.  Then we started jacking up the beam more and I got on the ladder you see on the left and started hitting the post with the sledge hammer.  The bottom stayed in the same place because it was already on the pier, but we had to move the top about 18″ and it usually took me a few hits to move it an inch.  And then my dad would jack up a little higher and I would hit it again.  Every time there were some scary cracks and creaks.  I was very afraid we would break the beam, that would have been a big problem.  But luckily we didn’t and now everyone can be happy!  The End~

2 thoughts on “Fixin’ the ol’ barn”

  1. It’s old, not necessarily flimsy though. Yeah it’s almost completely empty except for a wood splitter, an anvil, wood and a couple other little things.

Leave a Reply