- 2 large or 3 small eggplants
- flour and cornmeal, or preferred breading
- 2 eggs
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Tomato sauce (preferred – Prego traditional)
- vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Skin the eggplant and slice it into quarter inch thick pieces
- In a bowl, crack the eggs and stir them
- In a second bowl, mix cornmeal with flour (1:1 ratio)
- In a pan on the stove, heat up oil that is about a quarter of an inch deep
- Dip each eggplant slice in the egg, then coat it in the cornmeal and flour mix.
- Place it in the oil until it is golden brown, being sure to flip it to get both sides.
8. In a large pan, coat the bottom with a single layer of eggplant. In order to fill in the spaces between eggplant slices, cut up a slice. Try to leave as few openings as possible.
9. Add a layer of sauce, spreading it around with the spoon.
10. Finally, add a layer of cheese. Sprinkle the mozzarella on first, and then add the Parmesan.
11. Repeat steps 8-10 so that you have two full layers.
12. Bake for 30-35 minutes and enjoy!