Chris’ super healthy, fit sister, Charity, finally convinced us to do the Advocare 24-Day Challenge. Basically, that means no sugar or carbs, except for in the morning (most days). Those of you who know me can imagine how real the struggle was. I even had to ask Chris to take a bunch of my candy away and hide it until the challenge was over… I have no self control.
Anyhow, one of the great things about the challenge was the opportunity to try some new recipes. Cauliflower rice was a new one for us, and so was an attempt to make my own granola using one of the Advocare breakfast recipes. It turned out pretty well:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup dried berries of your choice
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup honey
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup apple sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt
- Add in dried berries, pecans, and almonds. Stir to combine
- In a medium bowl, whisk together honey, vanilla, pumpkin, and apple sauce until evenly mixed.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread the granola in a thin layer over the baking sheet.
- Bake it for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown, moving it around occasionally while baking.